Thursday, September 4, 2014

[RACE REPORT] Hy-Vee Triathlon, Pt. III: Expo & Race Day

This is part three of my three-part series on the Hy-Vee Triathlon.
Part 1 (Event Registration & Website) can be found HERE.

Part 2 (Course Preview & Athlete Guide)) can be found HERE.

The event's official website can be found HERE.


The early morning sunrise over Downtown Des Moines, Gray's
Lake, and Swim Out in to Transition.
Pre-Race
I awoke on the Saturday before race day - Expo Day - still quite bitter from the recent news discovered the night before: Due to nasty rains in the Des Moines area over the last week, portions of the Hy-Vee Triathlon bike course were flooded (specifically, Water Works Park). In response, event organizers changed the route of all legs for each the 5150 Elite Cup, 5150 Championnship, and Age Group Triathlon. The 5150 Elite Cup would still be the full Olympic Distance, a 1.5k/40k/10k race. The 5150 Championship and Age Group Triathlon however were shortened by half to a 750m/20k/5k. I anxiously awaited debriefing to see if any justification was given as to why paying athletes were screwed out of half their money. But as stated in my news break the night before, I digress and reserve judgement for a later day.

           Mandatory Race Briefing
Arriving at HyVee Hall in downtown Des Moines, it was expo time. Parking is readily available, but some lots charge $7 to park, so be aware of that.

Before anything, all athletes must attend a race debriefing. So here's the idea: The professional field is only 100 or so deep, and so riding the 10k revised course four times doesn't cause much headache. Toss a couple thousand age groupers and another few hundred Elites, and things get messy. The late start is so those 2000+ athletes don't bump in to the professionals, and the shortened course is so 2000+ athletes aren't circling around each other (2 laps provides less opportunity to run in to others). And when it comes to triathletes, there's always a strong leg; if they shortened just the bike leg, those that are strong cyclists are now in the red.
The 2014 revised route (click HERE for larger PDF copy). Elites got
the same route, and pro's did the same course but did twice the laps.

Now that all is explained, makes sense. I'm still bitter, but more so generally bitter, and not towards organizers. Sounds like their hands were tied. Bummer, but fairnuff.

And with that, just short of 30 minutes later, I collected my hand stamp and was cleared for packet pick-up.

          Pro Press Conference
We came out of debriefing just in time to catch the second half of the professional press conference. This year, the female field was especially stacked, including Liz Blatchford and Ironman Champion Mirinda Carfrae. Unfortunately the male field didn't include any of my fav's - particularly last year's winner Javier Gomez - but still had several top-100's like Hunter Kemper. All three attended the pro press conference. Pretty exciting to see Rinny and Blatchford up close. I tried to grab a few autographs, but the press conference was immediately followed by their own race briefings. No dice. Another bummer. Oh well -- on to packet pick-up!

          Packet Pick-Up and Expo
The pro press conference at the expo.
Luckily when I left the press conference, which shared space with the packet pick-up line, few were waiting. Most of the hold up is the waiver table, where three waivers stand between you and your race goods. 

Step two is another table, manned just two, to get your number confirmed, license confirmed, and waivers turned in. Finally, race number in hand, pick-up takes a more traditional route, picking out your bib number range from a long row of tables. There you get a manilla envelope with TriTats (with instructions), bike tube number sticker, running bib, swim cap, and your timing chip. On the way out, you get the timing chip strap while your chip is confirmed activated.

Next table is the schwag. Every year the sponsor goodies change, but the constants are almost always a HyVee Triathlon-labelled backpack (which have gotten really nice over the last couple of years), a hat (this year we have visors too!!), and a cycling jersey (which are....meh). Plus the program and athlete guide - don't forget those!

After the goodies, you're free to roam the expo, which I have noticed in the last three years has shrunk quite considerably. I also heard one grumble in-passing that the HyVee Triathlon may not exist after this year, but I haven't heard anything confirming that, and had only heard it that once, in-passing. Hopefully not, but we shall see.

All that, and I was exhausted. I need food and a nap. Race day is upon us.

Race Day
Leading up to race weekend was a bit tense. One of our teammates had been suffering from a bought of mono for a few weeks, and recently had developed an inflamed spleen and elevated liver enzymes. Luckily it wasn't anything serious, but still enough to prompt the doctor to urge against strenuous activity -- i.e. the Hy-Vee Triathlon. But an athlete's  conviction reigns supreme. And especially with the swim leg shortened by half, the green light was given. We were on for race day.

Transition at 5am. Calm for now, insane later.
Morning started -- at least for my sister (swimmer) and I -- around 4:15am. Out the door by 4:45 put us at the parking lots on the EAST side of Fleur Drive on Bell Ave (the west-side back entrance wasn't used this year due to flooding in that lot) well ahead of the athlete onslaught. It took about 5 minutes to reach an actual spot, a far cry from the 30-45 minutes of traffic the year before (though, we did get a later start, AND it was pouring rain). We even hitched a ride on a golf cart to transition (luck!). Which means we were at transition waaaaaay early. Hurry up and wait!

          Noticeable Changes
My sister and I set up transition and got a feel for the layout. This year, likely due to the revised run route, Run Out was off the SOUTH side of transition, rather than the North side, though still right next to Relay. Before, runners would run out of T2 back towards the lake, then quickly turn around and run along the outside of the Relay box. Now T2 escapees would simply run out next to the Relay Box on the south side, skipping the Relay box's perimeter trek. No telling yet whether or not this was a permanent change.

Another noticeable change was geared towards the spectators. In year's past, the swim out and run in to T1 involved running up from the beach, over a trail that ran along the north side of transition, and finally in to T1. Spectators, trying to get from the east side to the west side of this route were stuck in wait until the coast was clear from swimmers heading towards T1. Smartly-so (and highly unexpected by me), organizers constructed a stair-step system up and over that section of the trail, so that exiting swimmers could run through a small tunnel into T1 while spectators walked overhead, clear from any possible swimmer-on-spectator collisions. I was initially concerned that greedy onlookers would simply set up camp atop the bridge, but volunteers did an excellent job making sure traffic continued to flow from one side to the next. Plus it was cool to run in to T1 through that tunnel!

Continuing the theme of 2014 revisions, and one specific only to relay team members, FINALLY fixed the ugly bottle-necking that occurred around the entrance and exits of the relay box. Now the entrance and exit were at opposite sides of the relay box, and going in through the out door (or vise versa) would result in penalty all the way up to disqualification. Furthermore, course stewards enforced the maintenance of a 4-foot wide patch for inbound and outbound teammates, only accessible to those actively passing timing chips off. Where there still some clashes? Yes, but that is a relay team occupational hazard. Additionally, if teams were awaiting the swimmer, only the biker would be allowed in the relay box. And once the runner was awaiting the biker, only the runner was allowed, and the swimmer had to stay out. All this lead up to a surprisingly smooth and open transition for relay-ers, and zero problem with bottle-necking near the entrance or exit to/from the box. Well-done.

All else remained the same, save for the revised routes due to weather (see before). And with that, the 7am hour was upon us. Word was out that the Pro's were in the water, with Elites to follow after the last Pro finished (which wouldn't be long, given the men's and women's fields were only 25-deep each).

Cameron Dye was one of the favorites to win this year,
and was first out on the bike, but lost it in the run
to Hunter Kemper (photo by Ken Sherman/Triathlete)
          Awaiting the Start
The time passed pretty quick until Elites were in the water as well. The fact that some of the biggest names in triathlon were inches from the relay box helped; I got to see Hunter Kemper, Cameron Dye, Liz Blatchford, and Rinny Carfrae all in-action (still no autographs to speak of, however). Very cool. Even the Elites put on quite a show.

Before we knew it, the call came in over the loudspeakers for age-groupers to ready themselves and head over to the north-side beach for the swim. My sister, still reeling from bad memories of last year's race, anxiously marched her way around the lake. I anxiously watched. All that, and my brother (our runner) had yet to even arrive in the park (with nothing needed for transition, and a companion to help with driving/parking, he was able to sleep in all the way until 8am -- the punk).

While awaiting transition in the relay box, I was able
to grab this quick snap of Mirinda Carfrae heading out
of T2 on to the run course. Nice!
Age group swim caps started to file in under the spectator tunnel. And before too long, green caps appeared, too (the relay colors). 5 minutes of green caps, no 'sis. 10 minutes of green caps, no 'sis. My brother finally made his way in to the Relay box (looking well-rested, of course), asking if I thought she'd made it. I envisioned her climbing in to a volunteer's kayak, looking winded and defeated, mono getting the best of otherwise physical prowess. 15 minutes of green caps, no 'sis. Then the green caps started turning other colors. Pink caps, neon green caps, yellow caps...no 'sis. The green of relay was few and far between now, and the relay box was filling with runners awaiting their cycling counterparts.

Then, 'sis. Green cap, running full-steam, perfect posture, through the tunnel and in to relay entrance. Nice. My turn was up. Time to do this.

          The Bike
Transition was quick, save for a few extra seconds installing the Garmin VIRB on to the bike (I wanted to grab a few frames of the T1 relay). Off I went on the long bike-cleated run towards Bike Out, along the way bumping shoulders with an inbound swimmer (ed. note: a personal confession, in the adrenaline of the moment, I may have yelled a personal obscenity at the swimmer. He did not respond in-kind, though he should have. He didn't run in to me, we ran in to each other, which is also an occupational hazard of triathlon-ing. If I ever could apologize after the fact, I would in a moment. You are not, by any means, an asshole). Across the line, quick clip in, and off I went.
One of my personal heroes, Merinda Carfrae. The women's
field at this year's Hy-Vee Tri was stacked like crazy,
presumably as a good warm-up for those shooting for
Kona glory next month (photo by Ken Sherman/Triathlete).

The shoulder-rub with the inbound swimmer cause a near-fall, but did hit the front wheel of my bike with some force. Nothing substantial enough to cause damage, but enough to dislodge the fork-mounted speed sensor (I have two speed sensors: the fork-mounted for my wireless computer on the bike, and the chainstay-mounted Garmin one for my Fenix2 watch). The first quarter mile all I heard was tap-tap-tap-tap-tap. Crap! It took the longest 20 seconds of my life to figure out what it was, but when I finally saw the crooked front fork speed sensor, I gave it a quick shove with my hand (which you should NEVER DO, risking getting your hand caught in the spokes...EVER) and the noise stopped (as did my on-bike speedometer). Off I went out of the park.

VIDEO: BIKE COURSE, T1 & LAP 1 of 2 (direct link)

VIDEO: BIKE COURSE, LAP 2 OF 2 & T2 (direct link)


Given the short distance and lapped nature of this new route, the course was PACKED with bikers. Constantly, as can be seen in the videos, was I having to pass cyclists, weaving in and out of traffic. The GOOD NEWS with the traffic is that I got a wicked draft no matter where I went. My thinking with that is I saved more time drafting than I lost weaving in an out. That, and the course was damned flat. Fast!

Hunter Kemper took the overall, edging
out Cameron Dye on the run leg
(photo by Ken Sherman/Triathlete).
In to T2 I went, this time sans close encounters with fellow athletes. I racked my bike with hast, and entered in to the relay box, attempting not to slip on the muddy entrance (much recent rain and constant foot traffic does that to dirt). A few seconds later, and my brother was off on his run. I changed shoes and took off the helmet, took a few deep breaths, and walked the half(-ish) mile to the finish line. Viewing my metrics, I realized it was a personal-best time for the 20k distance, good enough for a 24.3mph average speed and 4th-best in our division. Nice.

          Short, but Success!
I roamed the finishing chute, grabbed my medal, and some post-race hydration. I took advantage of the
proximity to the finish line for a moment and watch a few athletes cross the line. My brother should be coming through any moment, though a this perspective came at the cost of claustrophobic tendency. I exited the finishing area and made my way downstream along the final meters of the run route.

Not long after, my sister got a message that my brother had crossed the line. I missed it! These shorter distances really are making things zip by too quickly. Either way, despite the constant uncertainty and frequent change of this year's plans, things had come to completion as a success. As is with most years, never am I really focused on how we finished -- I just make sure to have a damned good time, which I did in spades. Though, we did finish 47th of 124 co-ed relay teams, or 90th of 263 total relay teams -- not a bad showing.

The rambunctious Team Staples, with my niece refusing
to sit still for a family photo (granted, it was warm out).
And with that, I made the long walk back to transition and grabbed my bike. Despite the long morning, the day was over too quick. On the way out, my sister and I made a pact: next year, we would complete the Hy-Vee Triathlon solo.

Bring it!

Editor's Notes...
No photos on-course for this report. FinisherPix did this year's event (and last year's) and likes to charge frekkin' $24.99 for a single photo (OH, but you can pay $60 for all FOUR [correct] photos to 'save money'). That's right, FinisherPix, I'm callin' you out. Scandalous.

Triathlete magazine did a great online pictorial on the event's happenings, including winners Hunter Kemper (USA) and Helle Fredericksen (DEN). I used a couple of their photos above (credited). Check out the article HERE.

2014 Hy-Vee Triathlon Race Metrics
          SWIM
Distance: 750m                       Time: 24:56
Pace: 3:03/100y
Leg Placing: 116th/124 in-division
          TRANSITION 1
Time: 2:06
          BIKE
Distance: 12.23mi                   Time: 30:15
Avg. Speed: 24.3mph (PR)      Max. Speed: 31.6mph
Elev. Gain: 364ft                    Calories: 464kcal
Avg. HR: 158bpm                   Max. HR: 167
Avg. Cad.: 95rpm                   Max. Cad.: 120rpm
Leg Placing: 4th/124 in-division
          TRANSITION 2
Time: 1:17
          RUN
Distance: 3.12mi                    Time: 26:04
Pace: 8:25/mi
Leg Placing: 60th/124 in-division
          OVERALL
Time: 1:25:08
Division Place (Co-Ed Relay): 47th/124
Overall Place (All Relay): 90th/263


Keep R/B/S-ing.

-tds
~~__o
  _-/<,_
@/   @

No comments:

Post a Comment