Monday, September 29, 2014

[RACE REPORT] Heartland 30k, Pt.III: Paulina Cooper Dot-to-Dot 10k

Home Race Schedules & Reports > 2014 Paulina Cooper Dot-to-Dot 10k

The event's official site can be found HERE.
Official Athlete's Guide can be found HERE.



The final event in the Heartland 30k series is the Paulina Cooper Dot-to-Dot 10k. Here's a quick run-down of the ever-popular course...

Course Preview
The route taken for the Dot-to-Dot 10k is a double-lap iteration of a route popular with several 5- and 10k's throughout the year. Girls on the Run 5k uses the single-lap course, as does the Jazz in the Woods 10k. For the Paulina Cooper Dot-to-Dot, both a 5k and 10k are offered.

Here are the basics for the 2014 10k route...
Distance: 6.24mi
Route Type: Double Loop
Terrain Type: Park Streets (Blacktop, Concrete)
Start/Finish Location: Corporate Woods, Building 3, Overland Park, Kansas
Start Elevation: 908ft
# Climbs: 4
Tot. Elevation Gain: 411ft
Google Maps Link: HERE

Here's a run-down of the two main climbs on-route...
  • #1/3 - Farley Street Hill: 0.54mi @ 2.0% average grade (5.5% max), +41.8ft
  • #2/4 - Benson Drive Turnaround: 0.44mi @ 2.7% average grade (6.5% max), +43.0ft
Packet Pick-Up & Race Day

          Packet Pick-Up
Unfortunately, no actual packet pick-up info, as I wasn't the one to pick up my packet this week (thank you, Rachel!). However, new this year (and likely to hold for many of KC Running Company's races), the pick-up was at KC Running Company's new stand-alone store in Leawood. Though short on merch now (it is merely weeks old), the store presents with the same kindness and charm so-common to the KC Running Company staff.

Pick-up is easy, though admittedly, for larger races at least, it can get crowded near the start and finish of pick-up, as well as any times of day where pick-up is most convenient (i.e. lunch breaks, just after work, etc). Also, during 9-to-5 business hours, the parking spots near the store can get a bit short in supply. Pick-up is immediately obvious as soon as you walk in, along the back wall of the store.

          Race Day
You couldn't ask for a more gorgeous day: mid-60's at start time, sunny skies. A bit humid, but isn't it always in Kansas? During an extra-short warm-up, my only concern was the double I was getting to run: this 10k to finish out the Heartland 30k series, and tonight's Blazin' the Burg 5k, which was not flat by any means. In all, including warm-ups, I was looking at a solid 11 miles of at-pace running today. With my legs' recent tendencies towards tightening up post-run, I'd have to play these extra-careful.

The race was held same as in the past, at Corporate Woods business park in Overland Park, Kansas. With immediate access to the Tomahawk Creek Trail, there is no shortage of places for warm-up. I kept my warm-up short, knowing my warm-up before that evening's 5k would have to be longer, with more time required to ease loose aching muscles. Wandering in to the starting chute, I had to make the decision: focus on placing here, or placing tonight? There's no way I could manage a full-out assault on both. Ultimately, I figured I'd wait until about a mile in to this 10k to decide, though I was erring on the side of the 5k, given the usually-small field it brings out (albeit quick).

Presentation of the Pegasus Award.
(photo courtesy of KC Running Company)
Before the start, the mother of Paulina Cooper, and organizer of the long-standing race in her namesake, told Paulina's story (you can read about it HERE). There was not a dry eye at the venue. Then one family was presented with an award for their harrowing yet graceful struggle with childhood brain tumor. Again, hugely heartwarming story, and tears grow in size.

Then, all energy took a 180. All focus went back to the race at-hand. I myself had to re-focus as well, though hearing those stories did provide a certain sense of strength and willpower.

Keeping in mind that we were running with 5k'ers as well, I decided to stage myself at least a few back from the front. Once the clock was started, it was tough to mind the 5k'ers. Immediately runners took off from the front, pushing me well back in to a double-digit placing. I pulled back my pace, eventually finishing the first mile in only 6:55. Just beyond the first mile, I confirmed what I'd already suspected: I should focus on tonight.

The fast start (photo courtesy of KC Running Company).
The first climb is often overlooked on this course in lieu of climb #2. The reason is likely steep-ness, as the first climb is a bit more shallow, albeit longer. Once on-course, climb #1 doesn't catch your attention until right at the turnaround. Then, for 10k'ers, its inevitable second coming haunts you. For my first climb up, I held pace just fine through the turnaround.

A close-up! At the opening of lap 2
(photo courtesy of KC Running Co.)
Each of the first two 10k's of the Heartland 30k resulted in PR's. The Plaza 10k, which was my final PR of 2013, was just too quick (7:04/mi). Mile 2 came and went in right at PR pace until the ascent up climb #2. Halfway up my legs began to show signs of fatigue. I pulled back effort in preparation for lap 2, with the halfway point quickly approaching.

Let me say that, even having run multiple events on the same course, I love the route. My first 10k was actually this course, when the Jazz in the Woods 10k was still alive. However, within Corporate Woods Park, there's only so much space to run -- for 6.21 miles, a double-loop is inevitable. Despite the gorgeous course, running it twice is punishing. Immediately beyond the halfway point (the start line), climb #3 (the second coming of climb #1) hits, this time in full-force. This is where my legs started to fail, falling all the way to a 7:36 pace for the fourth mile.

The fifth mile picked back up to a shade over 7min, but again falling to 7:23 as a result of climb #4. If this was any indication of how my legs would handle the hills of Blazin' the Burg (of which there are many), I was in trouble.

45...0-3. Ouch (photo courtesy of KC Running Company).
I hit mile marker 6 and found myself in a one-on-one battle with a fellow runner. Luckily I had the kick, especially when coming around the bend and seeing 45:00 quickly approaching. If I could get sub-45 again, I would be very happy. It's not PR, but it was a feat that I'd only conquered just two weeks previous -- to post three straight sub-45's in a row...  I sprinted with all I had, hitting 6:30, 6:15, and down to 6:00/mi all the way to the finish...at 45:03. Missed it by three seconds.

The "what if" game began.

In sum, I still pace in age-group, taking 3rd of 23. Despite having 30 or so runners ahead of me, I also took a top-20 overall for the 10k distance at 17th of 680 10k runners. I collected my finisher's medal, my Heartland 30k medal, and my age group award. I may not have broken 45 minutes, I may not have grabbed a PR, but I was heading home with some serious hardware.

And we do it all over again in 9 hours.

My 'sis decided to rock it as well (photo courtesy of KC Running Company).

...as did a few close buds! (photo courtesy of KC Running Company)


Keep R/B/S-ing.

-tds
~~__o
  _-/<,_
@/   @

No comments:

Post a Comment