Tuesday, September 30, 2014

[BLOG UPDATE] "Virtual Run"

September 30, 2014

I hate that running with an action camera is impractical (and nauseating for the viewer). But I still want to give some visual idea of what can be expected on-course for run races. Every once and a while I may drive the route, action camera dashboard-mounted, and post that video. But when I can't, I decided to include images of the route courtesy of Google Earth Street View.

Starting with the Waddell & Reed Kansas City Marathon (actually, the half-marathon), I will be posting Street View images at key points of the route. My hope is to do this for all future races, although some may not include the Virtual Run feature.

Here's an example of what it would look like...

Approaching mile 13, the run-in to the finish will look like this as runners turn off of 18th Street on to South McGee.
The large building in the distance on the left (with the circular top) is the Sheraton Crown Center, site of
the finish line. There is a slight uphill, particularly over the bridge crossing.

Hopefully readers find it helpful!

Keep R/B/S-ing.

-tds
~~__o
  _-/<,_
@/   @

No comments:

Post a Comment