Monday, June 16, 2014

[RACE BRIEF] Chasing PR's: Village Shalom Father's Day 10k

Every once and a while I do a race that doesn't necessarily require a full-on race report. These are usually non-targeted races or "tune-up" races on my schedule. However, they're still worth a solid mention, especially for anyone interested in signing up and wanting more information. This will be my first of many "Race Brief" reports, this one for Village Shalom's Father's Day 10k

Note: All in-race photography was generously provided by Mile90 Photography. Check'em out!

OVERLAND PARK, Kansas -- I came off the Hospital Hill 10k quite disappointed. For 2013, I posted five straight PR's on 10k races (including Hospital Hill). My first 10k race of 2014 I narrowly missed a PR. Despite half-marathon training and intervals training since, this year's Hospital Hill was far behind my hoped- and expected-upon pace. That said, Hospital Hill is no easy feat. And with this year's weather conditions, I wanted to give myself a "tester race" to see if I truly am working backwards (which would likely require a solid off-period from running). As a supporter of Village Shalom in Overland Park anyways, their annual father's day run was offering a 10k. I figured it the perfect opportunity and signed up two days after HH.

The Father's Day 10k is a double-loop of the 5k route option. I've done several 5k's in the immediate area, so was going in to this one familiar with the profile. There are a surprising number of steep climbs around there.

The 10k course, with elevation profile.
(Image courtesy of TrainingPeaks)

Seems like this week's 10k would be the perfect follow-up to hospital hill. Approaching race day, we had a nearly 70% chance of thundershowers. I woke up at 4am of race day to loud thunder and crazy winds.

Forecast two days before race day. Rain again.
(Image courtesy of NOAA)
I decided to bring along a kitchen tall trash bag with holes cut for my arms and head. I would no doubt have to stand in the rain, and I'd rather get soaked only while running instead of shivering at the start line. It rained the entire way to the event site. And windy, too.
The radar 90min before start time.
Almost on cue, the moment the start horn was blown, the winds slowed and the rained stopped. Looks like puddles would be the only threat on the day.
Awaiting the start, ground soaked.
(Photo courtesy of Mile90 Photography)
I had a great place off the start line, holding a solid 4th place position, through mile 3.
Opening miles. The guy looking back on me actually was a 5k'er that
started with the 10k'ers (which, given different start lines, shaved about
.12 miles off his route -- cheater). He was trying to wave me through
to pass him, too. I wouldn't do it, so he zoomed ahead. He cracked later. Karma.
(Photo courtesy of Mile90 Photography)
Then I started to feel it: every mile that I'd seared in to my quads the day before at the Kansas Time Trial Championships. Mile 4 I fell apart, posting an 8:00+ minute mile. The hills that pocked the course, along with their descents, were shredding my legs. Just beyond the 4-mile marker, I lost one place in to fifth. I checked out my watch, and realized I was holding just off PR pace. I tried to push it over the last 2km.

Toughing it over the closing miles. (Cool photo, too)
(Photo courtesy of Mile90 Photography)
Though I was able to knock off another 1 second from my average pace, my legs were just too cashed -- I had zero energy left in them after yesterday. I finished at 46:23, a 7:26/mi pace, mere seconds (3 on the mile, to be exact) away from a PR.
The finish. (Photo courtesy of Mile90 Photography)
I still grabbed YR, technically, and had a great run after last week's Hospital Hill. I ended up taking first in-category, and holding fifth overall. Despite missing PR, I'd found a 10k rhythm. I was happy. My whole purpose for registering was accomplished.

Awards time. First in-age-group.
(Photo courtesy of Mile90 Photography)

Race Metrics
Distance: 6.24mi           Time: 46:23
Avg. Pace: 7:26/mi        Max. Pace: 6:04/mi
Climbing: 423ft             Kcal: 758kcal
Avg. HR: 169bpm          Max. HR: 178bpm
Avg. Cad.: 166spm        Max. Cad.: 184spm
Avg. VO: 11.2m             Avg. GCT: 239ms
Avg. Stride Length: 1.30m
1mi Splits: 6:43, 7:15, 7:18, 7:30, 8:10, 7:46, [1:48]
Weather: 64F/Showers in Area/SSE22-8
Placing: 1st/7 in age-group, 5th/76 overall
TrainingPeaks Analysis: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment