Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Preparing for HM's & the 2014 Heartland 39.3 Series

With my new-found love for the half-marathon, I, along with my brother, decided to beef up the challenge by tackling KC Running Company's Heartland 39.3 Series, a series of three half-marathons around the area spread over just five weeks. None of these half's I'd participated in before, but I had some limited exposure with the 5k's, including Running with the Cows in Bucyrus, Kansas, and the always-popular Rock the Parkway, which happened to be my very first 5k road race.

This series was prior to my deciding to start blogging about races, so pictures are few-and-far-between. But before I get to that, a few notes about...

Training

Training for a half-marathon alone takes a fair amount of dedication. Training for three held within five weeks was quite a bit of added work. Additionally, I was going to be fresh off of the Rock'n'Roll Dallas half, just three weeks prior to the first of the 39.3. So, really, I had to rely on training for the Dallas Half, and be careful about my training between Dallas and Rock the Parkway (the first of the 39.3 half's), as well as between each of the 39.3 half's. To make matters worse (and this is crazy in hindsight), I'd registered for the Dam to Dam Half Marathon in Des Moines, just three short weeks after the final 39.3 half-marathon. Five half's in 11 weeks.

I decided to re-implement the same 12-week training program I'd used for the Kansas City Half in October of last year, developed by legendary running coach Hal Higdon. I liked it because of its pure simplicity, and yet flexibility depending on level of ability (details, as well as prior-experience-specific programs can be found HERE). Given my solid base left over from last year, My training was shortened to about 10 weeks, starting the first week of 2014. I also had some variation given early-season races I was targeting. Training schedules always follow some sort of a pattern where shorter runs are done during the week, with at least one day devoted to speed work, then -- and this is the most important -- long runs on one of the weekend days. The following were my long-run (weekend -- usually Sunday) days planned, and completed, during my training leading up to Dallas, followed by the 39.3, and eventually Dam to Dam (which, as I write this, is in two days)...

Week 3 (12-week)/1 (10-week): 8mi Run @ HMP (half-marathon pace/effort)
*COMPLETE -- 8.40mi @ 1:16:06 (9:03)
Week 4/2: 9mi Run @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 11.30mi @ 1:41:12 (8:57) <---got a big boost from this workout
Week 5/3: 10k Race (Groundhog Run 10k)
*COMPLETE -- 6.24mi @ 46:43 (7:29)
Week 6/4: 10-12mi Run @ HMP
*REVISED (GI illness) -- 2.50mi @ 22:36 (9:00)
Week 7/5: 10-13mi @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 12.00mi @ 1:45:24 (8:46)
Week 8/6: 5k Race (Sweetheart Run 5k)
*COMPLETE -- 3.16mi @ 21:18 (6:45) + 1.29mi @ 10:38 (8:15) (warmup)
Week 9/7: 11-13mi @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 12.35mi @ 1:52:57 (9:09)
Week 10/8: 11-13mi @ HMP
*CANCELLED -- Tonsilitis
Week 11/9: Mock Half-Marathon (up at same time, practice nutrition, at least 13.1mi)
*COMPLETE -- 13.30mi @ 2:01:22 (9:07)
Week 12/10: Taper -- 7-9mi @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 8.42mi @ 1:11:23 (8:29)
Race Week: Rock'n'Roll Dallas HM
*COMPLETE -- 13.33mi @ 1:48:05 (8:06)
-2 Weeks before 39.3 Series #1: 7-9mi Run @ HMP
*REVISED (exhaustion) -- 5.71mi @ 48:22 (8:29)
-1 Week before 39.3 Series #1: 8mi @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 9.25mi @ 1:17:35 (8:23)
Race Week: 39.3 Series #1 -- Rock the Parkway HM
*COMPLETE
-1 Week before 39.3 Series #2: 8mi Run @ HMP
*COMPLETE -- 8.02mi @ 1:11:31 (8:55)
Race Week: 39.3 Series #2 -- Garmin HM
*COMPLETE
-1 Week before 39.3 Series #3: 8mi Run @ HMP
*REVISED (fatigue) -- 6.67mi @ 1:01:07 (9:10)
Race Week: 39.3 Series #3 -- Running with the Cows HM
*COMPLETE

In addition to completing long runs, it is essential to plan in not only the rest days, but to complete a successful taper during the week leading up to the race (or weeks if it is a full marathon). For me, I feel most comfortable when I complete my longest run TWO weeks prior to race day, then a shorter (usually 8 miles for a half, 15 miles for a full) run the week prior. This achieves two things: first, if anything gets in the way of training (which something usually does), you technically have a 'buffer week' to make sure to get in your biggest large run before race day; second, the week before race day, your shorter run will leave you with that much more "gas in the take" for the next week, and, you can also practice some speed on the shorter run.

Additionally, I make sure to meet two more training goals. The first is the longest run two weeks prior: this run should be a "mock race," whereby you get up at the same time, take on whatever fluids an nutrition you intent to take on, wear the clothes you're going to wear, and the shoes and socks you're going to sport. This way you can anticipate any potential problems, and have enough time to address them. This could be a hydration schedule that perhaps isn't working with your body, or nutrition that doesn't agree with your gut (my stomach, along with most people's stomachs, is finicky about what you can put in it at 7 in the morning, as opposed to 11 in the morning or 4 in the afternoon). It could also be a new running shirt you want to try out, or new socks you just bought (NEVER, EVER try anything new on race day -- clothing, nutrition, technique...nothing).

The second additional goal I like to hit is my race-week taper. My previous week's long run complete exactly one week before race day, I will do cross-training the next day (usually swimming to help flush out my legs of all the previous day's toxins), cross-training the day after that (usually biking, to again flush my legs a bit more, but also to prepare them for an additional day of running), then a short (usually a 5k) run at half-marathon or recovery pace. Then I will rest for two whole days -- no training, no vigorous activity. THIS is where my body builds the muscle and joint strength necessary for the vigors of race day. After the two days are up, I still have an additional day before race day; I use this for a short (usually 1 1/2 to 2-mile) run at recovery pace to prep my legs for the next day. I never feel comfortable going in to a race off of several days of sedentary rest -- I need some sort of "activation" of the muscles and joints needed. I will also use this short run to make sure the shoes feel right, but not so long as to fatigue my muscles, not to mention the rubber and foam in my shoes (shoe fatigue is a real thing).

All said and done, I should come out of this schedule feeling mentally and physically fresh, yet prepared. I've tested all variables and experimented with possible obstacles. Race day comes, and it's time to rock.

Nutrition

Fueling and overall nutrition is by far the most nerve-racking aspect of any training regimen -- or at least mine. Thanks to heredity, I have a naturally-weak stomach. Running is already punishing to the GI tract; add a family history of everything from GERD to IBS, and the thought of running seems downright nightmarish. That said, I am an enormous stickler about nutrition during training. I have done massive amounts of research around fueling options both pre- as well as post- and during-race. Hours searching running magazines, running websites, triathlon websites, and of course WebMD has led me invariable to the conclusion...I have to figure this out on my own. That said, I refuse to recommend nutrition to friends and acquaintances (although there is massive amounts of research -- including my own personal experience -- surrounding the success of some post-training regimens) beyond advising them to test it out for themselves BEFORE race day. The following only represents a few items that I have found to work best FOR ME...

  • During the second off-day of my two off days pre-half-marathon, I cut out almost all fiber, as well as the day before race day. Not only does this reduce the chances of...ummm..."mid-race mishaps," but amazingly, research has shown it also reduces race-day weight by lowering the amount of "bulk" in the intestines. This means less energy expended carrying extra weight on race day (in theory).
  • "Carbo-loading": Most equate this with over-eating, but in fact, this pre-race period should only mean replacing a small amount of your normally-consumed fats with complex carbohydrates instead -- not taking in more food overall. For me, I've found this is most effective two nights before a race, the morning of the day before a race, and lunchtime the day before a race (my largest meal that day). The "night-before pasta binge" that is still too popular today has never worked for me, and often leads to that "stomach slosh" I'd spoken on earlier. I generally opt for a smaller meal of complex carbohydrates, like whole grain cereal with milk, or a whole grain bagel with almond butter and honey. Anything larger, and I've found it's likely to stick in your guy all the way through to the next morning. I cut out fats and sugar -- these lead to "mid-race midhaps" as well.
  • Also during my two off days (as well as the day previous), I pre-hydrate. Research is crazy-mixed over whether or not this is even effective at all, so enter in to this technique with scientific skepticism. Call it a placebo effect, but I have noticed less thirst on race morning having pre-hydrated in the days previous. This also means making sure your electrolytes are topped off, particularly the day before the race. Being more hydrated going in to a race means less trouble with hydration on race-day, including the following unfortunate problem...
  • Slow gastric emptying (also hereditary) means that hydration immediately preceding and during a training event or race must be closely monitored for me. This is, as the name would imply, where stomach contents are pulled in to the lower GI tract slower than normal. The result: if I drink too much immediately before a race, or too much during a race (even by a small bit), I will suffer the always-awful "slosh stomach." Which, in turn, can lead to those "mid-race mishaps" I was speaking on earlier. If I am not thirsty (which I never seem to be, give pre-hydration) before a race, I don't drink anything. I do take on fluids during the run, but only a solid mile after I'd started running (unless it's insanely hot). My GI tract seems to be a touch more receptive by then.
  • The morning-of is my weakest link, if not for the whole of my training, at least for race-day protocol. Ideally you should take in a small, simple-carbohydrate meal like white toast with jam, or a plain bagel with honey, but my stomach just won't let me. My issues with gastric emptying would cause any and all food to just sit in my stomach throughout the entire race -- a miserable feeling, and one that possibly could take me completely out of contention. The most I've ever been able to handle is MAYBE a quarter a plain bagel, and just before race start, a gel. But that's the absolute most I've ever been able to do. My technique is ill-advised for pretty much anyone. I would likely be able to be a lot more competitive (during half's, especially) if I could eat a decent meal pre-race. But, unfortunately, I'm left relying on my previous days' nutrition.
  • Mid-race nutrition is still a sticky (so to speak) subject for me. I've tested many things (including unfortunate experiences with many things) and have narrowed it to two options: gatorade, or natural-ingredient gels and water. Gatorade seems to be the better-received (stomach-wise), and beyond that is usually the sport drink found on most race routes, so is easy to test with. If for any reason my stomach doesn't quite like fluids on race morning (again, stomach slosh), I switch to the gels. Now...about gels... Sugar + Running = horrific consequences. Some gels out there have a shocking amount of sugar in them. I ALWAYS check ingredient labels and test gels in training. I have found Hammer Nutrition gels to settle the best with me, likely do their all-natural ingredients, low sugar contents, and real fruit mix. They also avoid the "overly-simple" sugars like sucrose, and opt for "less-simple" options like natural dextrose and glucose (they'll use the sugars found in grape skins, for example). Plus, an added bonus, they're not too sweet: anyone that has attempted to down a salted-caramel GU (which is delicious by the way) after 11 miles of continuous running knows that the overly-sweet are hardly palatable. Hammer gels get rid of this "too-sweet" flavor profile, making them easier to stomach. If anything, I'll opt for GU gels (sweeter) earlier in the race, and Hammer gels later in the race. And PowerGels? Those are just gross.
  • Post-race...this is the only place I DO make recommendations. Though I will use a protein powder supplement often (which I urge friends to find and test on their own), one post-race protein supplement always comes through on top: chocolate milk. It has the perfect ratio or carbohydrates-to-protein that is best-absorbed and used by muscles to effectively rebuild (3:1). For short, intense efforts in training or racing, I will take on 1 1/2 cups (12oz) of chocolate milk within the first 30 minutes of the finish, followed by an additional 12 oz just before bedtime (research has shown that muscles repair the most during certain stages of sleep; along with the added carbs and protein, this skyrockets recovery). Longer efforts, I will do the same, but boost the amounts to 16-20 oz and 12-16 oz, respectively.
  • In addition to chocolate milk, I will add my not-so-secret weapon to post-intense-efforts to boost the recovery process: tart cherry juice. Mass amounts of research has shown that the chemical complexes (anthocyanins, for my biology/medical buds) found in tart cherries reduces inflammation and helps flush our system of chemical byproducts of oxidative stress (like those found in our systems post-exercise). These properties are also found in cherry juice as well ONLY IF it is tart cherry juice, it is 100% juice (organic, especially), and there are NO sweeteners added. This will make the juice unpalatable to some, but only 4 fluid ounces are needed, preferably alongside your normal post-workout protein supplement (for instance, shoot the 4 ounces, then chase it with the supplement, if you don't like the taste of the cherry juice). As added benefits, tart cherry juice is also a potassium powerhouse, which can alleviate any post-run cramping you experience, and also is a natural source of melatonin, a chemical normally naturally produced by the body that helps with sleep regulation. As such, I also add another 4 oz at bed time to help with sleep, as well as mid-sleep anti-inflammation and "detoxification."


April 12th, 2014: Rock the Parkway Half-Marathon, Kansas City, Missouri
13.22mi @ 1:52:18 (8:29/mi); 85th place of 202 in age-group, 741st of 4933 overall.

Race number one of the three-race Heartland 39.3 was the Rock the Parkway Half, by far the most-attended HM under the Kansas City Marathon. Surprisingly, Rock the Parkway, despite being so well-attended, was only in its fifth running for 2014. Total registration was capped at 6,000, to which it reached in record time.

In 2013, race expo and packet pickup was at the Overland Park Convention Center. To ease parking and access (and I'm sure exhibit hall fees), the expo was moved to the Overland Park International Trade Center. The parking was easy (although I parked on the west side of the building, and the exhibit hall was on the exhibit hall was on the east side of the building, with no walk-through route) and floor layout this year was easy-flowing and wide-open, a few of my biggest negative criticisms from last year's (and 2012's) race.  I grabbed my 39.3 commemorative technical t-shirt, my rock the parkway bib and packet and t-shirt, a few complimentary GU's, and readied for race day.

The course map and elevation profile for RtP.
(Image courtesy of TrainingPeaks)
The 5k interation of this Rock the Parkway route has always been noted for its straight-up-straight down profile, a personality that extends and holds true for the first and last three miles of this 13.1 jaunt. The first significant climb comes within the first quarter-mile, and really starts to uptick at about .7mi, lasting all the way to the 5k turnaround (1.32mi @ 1.6%). Climb #1 is immediately followed by the #2/3 punch, again with a progressive grade from 1.72 to 3mi (combined) at an average 2.5% slope. Mini climbs hit the middle of the course, with several short-yet-painful efforts at 5.8, 6.3 and 7.74mi. A deeper, more significant hill splits the course in two at Loose Park include a 7mi bender with a slope as high as 7.5% in some spots. Additional undulations at the 'top' of the course make recovery from the hills at Loose Park quite the task. A final bump at close to the 10mi mark shreds what legs are left (#5, 1k @ 4.1%), making even the final descent to the finish seem pithy. I would have to save a significant spot of energy for the final climb and descent towards the finish to out-pip those that ran their energy off in Loose Park (if I weren't the one devoid of energy).

Panorama of the start/finish area on race morning.
Race morning came and my legs felt reasonably well-rested (cherry juice, man!). Strong nervousness hit me given the high standard placed upon myself from Dallas, but was able to tame it. I parked on the opposite side of the Burns & McDonnell headquarters from the start line in the designated car parks a full 90-minutes-plus from start time, well ahead of other arrivals. Remember 2013, the closer to start, the stickier the parking. I walked down Summit Street to the start line.

Passing one of a few of Ward Parkway's famous fountains.
Staying true to its namesake, Rock the Parkway runs north from the Burns & McDonnell headquarters -- our title sponsor -- on Ward Parkway towards Loose Park, before diverting off towards the Country Club District neighborhoods on 57th and Bellevue. I had started out expecting to ma
tch-or-better my Dallas PR. So for the trek up Ward, I did just that: matched and bettered my PR, a true 'rookie'(-ish) mistake. Given the uphill profile, little did I realize how much I was shredding my legs. South on Bellevue offers a touch of respite with it's slow downhill before heading back north on Pennsylvania toward Loose Park. Pennsylvania in to Loose park included a nasty short and steep climb, which is where the fatigue started to really hit. The circuit around loose park offers some tough short hills as well, and heading west away from Loose and back on to Ward Parkway -- just after mile marker 8 -- I was toasted.

The finish, me on the left.
My three HM's came with it some gorgeous medals, but
RtP's may be my favorite. From left, Wadell & Reed Kansas
City Half-Marathon, Rock'n'Roll Dallas Half-Marathon, and
Burns & McDonnell Rock the Parkway HM.
The entire route north on Ward came with a tailwind, which normally would be welcomed, if it weren't for the humid conditions on race morning (an oddity given the chilly history of the race). Though the majority of the race back south on Ward was in to the cooling wind and mostly downhill, my pace took a massive nosedive. Eventually, at just after the 10-mile marker, and up the last real climb of the route, I had to walk -- something I'm not really used to doing at this distance. I felt defeated, and my PR pace ran off without me. From 8 miles on, I'd ran an 8:50, 8:41, 9:36, 9:06 before finishing the 13th mile at 8:45. I'd even felt I pushed the 13th mile hard, only to still come up way short of an 8:30 average pace. I crossed at 1:52:18, an 8:29 pace.

I walked a bit after finishing to keep from what I knew would be incredibly painful cramping if I'd sat. Just despite, my legs screamed at me. I had to sit. 5 minutes of pain and a touch of nausea, and I could finally appreciate the finish. Not a PR, but still well below 2 hours. At first, I'd wondered what I got myself in to with registering for the 39.3, but I was already ready for Garmin, a short two weeks away.

ROCK THE PARKWAY HALF-MARATHON RUN METRICS
Distance: 13.22mi                          Overall Time: 1:52:18
Avg. Pace: 8:29/mi                         Max. Pace: 7:43/mi
Avg. HR: 163bpm                          Max. HR: -u/k-
Miles Splits: 7:43, 7:54, 8:08, 7:58, 8:01, 7:54, 8:37, 8:32, 8:50, 8:41, 9:36, 9:06, 8:45, (2:23)


April 26th, 2014: Garmin Half-Marathon, Garmin Headquarters, Olathe, Kansas
13.18mi @ 1:49:00 (8:16); 37th of 113 in age division, 310th of 2199 overall.

Only in the Land of Oz.

Race number two was the Garmin Half-Marathon, also a relatively new race offering that has quickly exploded to superstar status. As the name would imply, it is put on by Garmin themselves, and starts and finishes from the Garmin World Headquarters in Olathe, Kansas. I had registered for the 5k iteration of the course for 2013, though did not start for whatever reason (I had missed a lot of early-season races for a variety of reasons last year). This year the 5k was a 6k (just short of 4 miles), although I was running the "Wickedly Fast Half-Marathon."

Though I'd already picked up my information for the 39.3 at Rock the Parkway's expo, my race-specific bib still required pick-up the day before (there were both Thursday and Friday offerings, as well as the morning-of). The packet pick-up, smaller than Rock the Parkway's, was held on the second floor exhibit hall of Olathe's Hilton Garden Inn. I learned that later that night, Meb Keflezighi would be speaking at the pre-race pasta dinner, fresh off his Boston Marathon win. I decided not to attend. And I now regret that. Regardless, packet pick-up was quick and easy -- in-and-out in about 10 minutes total, barring a quick convo with an old friend I hadn't seen since high school.

Garmin HM race route, with elevation profile
(Courtesy of TrainingPeaks)
I knew very little about the course coming in, though organizers claim it was far from hilly, thus giving it its "Wickedly Fast" moniker. Undulations ran the first two-thirds of the course, with mini-clim
bs at 2.7, 3.9 and 4.4 miles. There would be three significant climbs, each one longer than the last: the first the steepest and quickest (1/3mi @ 4.1%), the middle the higher "category climb" (.7mi @ 2.6%), and the final long and shallow (1mi @ 1.6%). The final third would be a slow uphill, including climb #3 smack-dab in the middle, though the fall from the climb hopefully would provide some extra legs to be strong over the final 2 miles.  Overall the course would provide a mix of elevation changes of all types, which -- despite it being the least-climbing of the three of the 39.3 -- might prove to tax nearly every muscle fiber type in my legs. To me, it only seemed to me that the course was truly "flat" according to seasoned half-marathoners. I would have to take advantage of early descents to utilize as many muscle groups as possible, leaving gas in the tank for the final uphill third.

Race morning was chilly, though the sun was helping just a touch. There was just enough breeze to encourage me to bring along arm sleeves. There would also be the possibility of rain in the forecast, although it sounded as if it'd stay off until a few hours past finish time. I felt a little better-prepared for this course compared to Rock the Parkway, although still planned to at least tame my pace on the outset a little bit, as during the first HM I rocked a 7:30 out of the gate. I also was feeling great with my new running buddy, Garmin's brand-new Fenix 2 GPS watch. A statistics nerd, I would gladly be tracking my metrics throughout the race, including the standard heart rate (HR) and pace, as well as cadence (cad; or number of steps -- or in runner-speak, turnover -- per minute), ground contact time (GCT; or the amount of time your foot stays on the ground with each step), and vertical oscillation (vo; the amount of upward bound taken with each step). Combined, I should get a fairly accurate view of my running efficiency.

I was regretting not doing the pasta dinner the night before. Maybe in shaking Meb's hand, I could have absorbed some of his godlike ability. Standing down towards the start, Meb was nowhere to be found -- off on his international winner's tour, I'm sure. No Meb mojo...I'm on my own for this one.

Early in the course, evidenced by
the lack of torrential downpour.
We set off promptly at 7am, the 6k'ers at 7:30. From Garmin HQ, we set north on Ridgeview Road, then west on Loula and north on Northgate through downtown Olathe. I hit 7:20 pace in spots, and forced myself to slow as we hit downtown. I found the 1:45 pace group -- about 8:00/mi average pace -- and decided to stick with them, surging ahead softly with I had the ability. The first sizable mini-climb took place on Northgate (and it sprinkled a little bit, as well), with the largest of the "major ascents" (the real nasty short-but-steep one) as we turned east on Harold Street, about 4.5 miles in. I pushed hard up the climb, making sure to closely monitor my stats as I did so. I kept my cadence high (around 170) and worked off of perceived effort, rather than pace. I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

Just like Rock the Parkway, difficulty started to come around the 6-mile mark. I started to lag behind the 1:45 pace group, and approaching a mini climb at 6.5, would start losing sight of them. A welcomed ascent began at 7.5 miles as we started to head south on Arapahoe from 127th/Harold, but I knew the climb to the finish was looming -- all as soon as the route climbed on to the Indian Creek Trial. 8.5 miles marked the minimum elevation for the course, and as we jumped on to Indian Creek, it started to sprinkle again, this time with lightning and thunder accompanying. 9 miles hit, and the sprinkles turned to a light rain. The thunder continued, still a suitable distance. Then 10 miles, and the rumbles turned to crashes of lightning and heavy raindrops. At some points, the rain hurt -- until realizing it was the hail scattered throughout that outside of my body. 12 miles to go, I turned from loving running the rain to despising it. I wanted to get out of there. I was pissed at the Weather Channel: "Chance of showers, mainly after 1pm. New rainfall amounts less than a tenth of an inch possible." My ass.
I wouldn't stop running there: soon
as I crossed the line, I booked it to my
car and out of the rain.
provided the random pings. At 11 miles, it was a deluge. My shirt weighed me down, my shoes were saturated sponges -- I was lifting an extra pound of water weight, all being carried on the

I tapped my frustration out on the pavement. Mile 11 would pace an 8:59. By mile 12, I was running 8:20. By 13, 8:15. I finished my final 0.18-mile in 8:05 pace, finishing 1:49:00 on the dot (8:16). Still a bit behind Dallas, but now was neither the time for celebration, nor disappointment. I wanted out of the drenching rain. I got to my car, parked an additional half-mile away, and got changed as quickly as possible.

Clothes dry, windows steamed, I could finally sigh relief. ...That was sorta fun.

GARMIN HALF-MARATHON METRICS
Distance: 13.18mi                                Time: 1:49:00
Avg. Pace: 8:16/mi                               Max. Pace: 7:13/mi
Avg. HR: 164bpm                                Max. HR: 175bpm
Avg. cad: 162spm                                Max. cad: 173spm
Avg. GCT: 254ms                                Avg. vo: 11.2cm
Avg. SL: 1.20m                                    Tot. Climb: 443ft
(cad = cadence; GCT = ground contact time; vo = vertical oscillation; SL = stride length)
Temperature (min/avg/max): 51/55/60
Weather Conditions: PCloudy-TStorms
Mile Splits: 7:49, 7:45, 7:57, 7:53, 8:12, 8:10, 8:24, 8:10, 8:18, 9:05, 8:59, 8:24, 8:14, (1:28)
Training Peaks Public Workout Report: HERE

May 10th, 2014: Running with the Cows Half-Marathon, Bucyrus, Kansas
13.21mi @ 1:49:15 (8:17); 32nd of 79 in age division, 230th of 1679 overall.

The final half. I went in with mixed feelings about my level of preparedness. Rock the Parkway went horribly. Garmin went better than expected. Nothing matched how I did at Dallas. Several half-marathons over just a couple of months' time starts to wear on you. But all despite, I was looking forward to 39.3's final offering.

I've always been (and by 'always,' I mean since last year) an enormous fan of Running with the Cows. In '13, I did the 5k route and had a blast. Everything, from the bus transport to the start/finish line, to the community rally, and the massive sustenance offering post-race, was all the best any race could offer. And the route itself, simple though it may be, was relaxing. Wide open fields, fresh air, zero traffic.

The final packet pick-up took place, as same as last year, at the 24Hr Fitness in Overland Park, Kansas. There were two time offerings, the Thursday or the Friday before race day. You also had day-of packet pick-up option if necessary. Like Garmin, the packet pick-up was in what looked like a small exhibit hall or meeting room. This time though, there were no exhibits. Also like Garmin, 10 minutes and I had all I needed for race day -- quick and easy.

Running with the Cows requires a touch earlier of a wake-up time due to the travel. Bucyrus is a small township about 25 minutes south of Overland Park, or about 40 minutes south of where I live in Olathe, Kansas. It sits right off of US-69 Highway out in "the middle of nowhere, Kansas," it seems, although a frequent visitor or neighboring Louisburg, it didn't seem too far out.

However, admittedly, the race route, start/finish line and parking all lay among wide open fields along side country roads, so parking is extremely limited. Two options are given for where to park: one north of the race route along 199th Street and US-69 Highway, and one south of the race route along 247th Street and US-69 Highway (huge homemade signs with cows adorn the side of the highway to point you towards these options). To ameliorate any potential parking issues, race organizers in 2013 had a large number of parking tenants and police officers guide you to side-of-the-road parking. These parking areas -- be it south or north of the race -- were organized by color. School busses were dispatched from the start/finish line to pick up runners within these parking zones. At the race's completion, just find the bus with your zone color and you're gravy; about 5-10 minutes bus time each way. VERY well-organized, and although leaves room for much confusion, is incredibly well-attended by volunteers. In fact, last year, I found the bus ride to the start line to be almost euphoric, windows open to the fresh air, sun rising over the open plains. Gorgeous.

This year, the same strategy was implemented. Unfortunately, I must say, I left early enough to where I got parking access on the school grounds where the start/finish line was, a mere 60 second walk away. This was convenient if I wanted to hit my car real quick before race time (which I ended up having to, because I'd left my HRM sensor in my race bag), or if I didn't want to utilize bag-drop. Although I did quite miss the relaxing bus ride to-and-fro.

The start/finish line sits in the front lot of Wea Elementary School just east of Bucyrus, Kansas, among dirt roads and farms pock-marked across the open plains. The school itself was open for bag drop, late packet pick-up and general hang-outery, but no restrooms beyond the port-o-johns outside (can't blame them for that). Given the slightly-cooler-than-room-temperature weather outdoors, many opted to wait inside. Post-race, the school's cafeteria would open up to finishers and spectators, community members offering any number of post-race munchies.

Running with the Cows Half-Marathon course, with profile.
(Courtesy of TrainingPeaks)
Start time was at 7am, or 7:30 for the 5k'ers. The route literally only had a few corners to it: Heading out of the Wea front lot, we'd head north on Metcalf, east on 215th, north on Nall, east on 207th, and north on Mission to the turn-around at 191st Street. The way in was the reverse of the way out. Like you would expect with country-road running, the overall elevation differential pointed towards a relatively flat course, but regular undulation kept the route anywhere but. Similar to Rock the Parkway, the only real significant hill showed up on the 5k course, which was the out-and-back version of the first 1.55mi of the course.

I made it a point to set out slower than 7:45 pace at least, despite my usual practice of starting strong
and "banking time" (which you should NEVER DO during distance racing). I still wanted that Dallas PR time. I ran the first two miles, including the only noticeable climb, at 7:47 and 7:55 -- right where I wanted to be. Beyond that, I just tried to hold pace and enjoy the views. Through 15k (9 miles) I was performing exactly how I wanted: running every other lap just faster than target, and every other lap just slower than target: I tap-danced around 8:00 at 7:58, then 8:03, then back to 7:50 and so on. I even was giving the 1:40 overall pace group a run for their money. Then, around the 10-mile marker, only 3 miles left, my energy bonked. I had been fueling consistently throughout the run (despite suffering a touch of stomach-sloshiness), but apparently not well-enough. My legs felt surprisingly good, my body was telling me to stop. My 10th mile I posted an 8:45. Checking my overall pace, I still had a shot at PR if I could run the final 5k similar to Dallas. The 1:40 pace group passed me, followed quickly by the 1:45, all within a span of minutes. The 11-mile marker showed in the distance -- it seemed like that mile was longer than usual. I check the watch: lap time = 9:21. Horrific. My target pace was now a near impossibility, barring a sudden sub-7-minute-mile average over the final two miles. I kicked the best I could, but my body only gave so much. My final two miles I posted similar pace: 8:58 and 8:45. I had completely spent myself. I crossed the line in 1:49:15, only 15 seconds overall slower than Garmin, and one second slower on the mile at 8:17.

I crossed, grabbed the medal, grabbed water, grabbed the 39.3 medal, and about passed out. My body
The finish.
was unhappy with me, and fought relentlessly to topple me to the floor. I'd never felt so spent after a run that I was actually light-headed. Normally it was just the legs yelling at me, and my body tired yet accomplished. This time was different. Supposedly my brother hit the wall the same at 3 miles to go, but at least he could eat something post-race. I grabbed what little I could stomach, including a few sips of soda to calm my gut as well as pull my blood sugar up.

It took a solid 20 minutes before I felt anything besides ill-at-ease. Now I could start to think back on the accomplishment: 3 half-marathons in 5 weeks, and all well under 2 hours completion time. For someone that ran his first half 7 months ago, that was no small feat. Zero regret came to me throughout the entirety of this month and a half, despite the obstacles and questioning of my own motivations for attempting such a crazy thing. The long hours and hundreds of miles logged on treadmills or in freezing temperatures...the joint pain, muscle soreness and utter exhaustion -- all of it leading to a 39.3 experience that ended just as quickly as it began.

Would I do it again? Yes. Will I? ...Probably not.

RUNNING WITH THE COWS HALF-MARATHON METRICS
Distance: 13.21mi                                Time: 1:49:15
Avg. Pace: 8:17/mi                               Max. Pace: 7:04/mi
Avg. HR: 164bpm                                Max. HR: 175bpm
Avg. cad: 166spm                                Max. cad: 170spm
Tot. Climbing: 523ft
(cad = cadence; GCT)
Temperature (min/avg/max): 61/65/68
Weather Conditions: MSunny
Mile Splits: 7:47, 7:55, 7:55, 8:02, 8:01, 7:58, 8:03, 7:58, 8:06, 8:34, 9:21, 8:58, 8:45, (1:39)
Training Peaks Public Workout Report: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment